Most of my epic ski road trip is booked for this coming winter! I will be departing home on Jan 19th and returning home Feb 10th. Girlfriend will be joining me for the first few days, I will ski solo for two weeks, then be skiing with friends in Montana for the third week, and then ski another few days solo again. The only lodging left to book will be in Vegas, Moab, and the way home from MT. Here is what my itinerary is looking like:

  • Sat 1/19 - Drive from LA to Vegas, spend the day in Vegas, stay on the strip at a hotel (TBD)
  • Sun 1/20 - Drive from Vegas to Zion NP, spend the day at Zion, drive to Moab, stay in an airbnb in Moab (TBD)
  • Mon 1/21 - Spend the day at Arches NP, drive to SLC and check into my airbnb until Sat 1/26 (booked)
  • Tue 1/22 - Girlfriend flies home from SLC (booked)
  • Tue 1/22 through Fri 1/25 - Ski Solitude + Brighton + Deer (Ikon)
  • Sat 1/26 - Drive from SLC to Alpine WY, check into my airbnb until Feb 1st (booked)
  • Sun 1/27 through Thu 1/31 - Ski Jackson Hole with a rest day thrown in there somewhere (Ikon)
  • Fri 2/1 - Drive from Alpine WY to Big Sky MT, check into airbnb until 2/ 6 (booked)
  • Sat 2/2 through Wed 2/5 - Ski Big Sky (Ikon)
  • Thu 2/7- Drive from Big Sky MT to SLC, check into airbnb until Feb 10 (TBD)
  • Fri 2/8 through Sat 2/9- Ski Solitude + Brighton + Deer (Ikon)
  • Sun 2/10 - Drive home to LA

I intentionally booked the JH portion with flexible cancellation so that I can play it by ear with the weather. And I didnt book the airbnb in MT and my friends going arent relying on me to make a price point, so if I have to be flexible I will be. Plus the last portion of skiing is gonna depend on how tired I am. I might just go home a day earlier or do something else low key in SLC. Or even stop by Bryce NP since I havent seen that one.

Car is not ready yet as I am still having trouble with the roof rack installation. I cross threaded one of the bolt holes and havent wanted to go outside to work on it since California is currently on fire and the smoke is probably bad for me. But I still have plenty of time to figure that out!

Two of the landing pads are secure and complete but two were cross threaded so they need to be redone. I tried re-threading one but I ran out of material in the hole and need to redrill it bigger. Unfortunately that will mean different sized bolts but I dont ever plan on taking these off anyways.

Skis are ready and so is the rest of my gear! I have my new Elans freshly coated with Phantom waxless guide and then my recently repaired old pair. I have new poles, ski pants, and a helmet. Along with my trusty underlayers, two sets of gloves, head garments for cold days, Rossignol boots, and my multi-layer Columbia Jacket that is still holding up to the abuse.


Both sets of skiis and all of my gear will be tested at Mammoth ahead of time and hopefully not murdered with more holes...